The NCF is part of a research study called FluCare which is being run by the University of East Anglia and NHS Norfolk & Waveney Clinical Commissioning Group.
What is FluCare?
FluCare is a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR)-funded project exploring whether offering staff flu vaccination clinics in the care home can improve flu vaccination rates. The project will take place this flu season and the 2022 flu season.
What is involved?
- The researchers want to see if offering flu vaccination clinics specifically for staff in the care home, along with financial incentives for homes, can increase uptake.
- They are looking for care homes to take part in a small-scale study this Autumn and a large trial next year, again in the flu season.
- Some care homes will receive the flu vaccination clinics and others will not, but all homes will receive £500 for taking part in the study and providing monitoring information.
- The researchers will also want to interview some staff – staff who give up their time for interviews will also be paid.
- Within each care home, staff who complete a short online survey will be entered into a £100 voucher prize draw.
What types of care homes can get involved?
- The project is looking for residential or nursing care homes for people over the age of 65
- The care homes need to employ more than 10 staff
- The care homes need to be located in London, Norfolk or Leicestershire.
When will the project start?
- This October – see below on how to sign up
Why should your care home get involved?
- Your care home will receive £500 for participating
- It will help you to think about your flu vaccination strategy, as you will have sight of early findings
- It will help to build the evidence base for government on what works to improve flu vaccination, beyond the rather blunt instrument of mandatory vaccination and set out the case for more collaboration/ support for care home staff vaccination
What do I do to take part?
- Complete a FluCare expression of interest form by following this link.
If you have any questions please contact: [email protected]