The home is situated on the site formerly occupied for almost 100 years by St Vincentís Orthopaedic Hospital.
The charity was formed in 1907 by Archbishop Bourne (who later became Cardinal Bourne) who set up a home in Clapham for crippled boys from the slums and workhouses of the poorest parts of London, the Diocese of Westminster. An orthopaedic surgeon, Mr McCrae Aitken, and the eminent Sir Robert Jones, the first Honorary Surgeon, worked together with Sister Teresa Fraser (one of the Daughters of Charity, and the first Matron) to ensure that the best possible orthopaedic treatment was provided.
In May 1912, following a search to re-locate to a more rural setting, 40 boys transferred to St Vincentís Eastcote, to the original house. St Vincentís became the second orthopaedic hospital to be founded in the UK.
In 1923 St Vincentís changed its name to St Vincentís Orthopaedic Hospital and a ward for 20 girls was opened and another in 1930. The number of beds increased from 40 to 122. St Vincentís has always been a centre for excellence and the provision of high quality care has been a major feature. In 2000 the Board of Trustees/Directors declared that they would do everything in their power to ensure that the tradition of St Vincentís continued on the same site. It was agreed that a Nursing Home would be built and that the reputation of St Vincentís would be continued for a further 100 years.
Visit St Vincent's website: www.svnh.co.uk